Friday, December 12, 2008

Fight Night Review

Well that was certainly much more interesting than I expected! There were plenty of KOs, a couple gruesome injuries, and most importantly a lot of compelling stories that hopefully got all of you to call or go online and donate to a worthy cause. I was proud of all the fighters plugging the fund after their fights and remembering why they were there. Also, it was really nice to see all the celebrities and fighters who supported this cause by lending their voice. With all that good will built up (perfect fit around the holidays huh?) let's break down the fights.

Justin McCully v. Eddie Sanchez: McCully won a unanimous decision. I got the prediction right I just didn't pick the right fighter.

Corey Hill v. Dale Hartt: Hill loses by TKO due to a broken leg suffered when Hartt blocked one of Hill's leg kicks. You can find it on youtube but it is very gruesome so BE WARNED. I got this pick right but I won't count it against my record due to how Hartt won.

Luigi Fioravanti v. Brodie Farber: Fioravanti won a dominating unanimous decision. This was a very odd catch weight fight as neither fighter could hit the welterweight limit of 170 lbs. I got the pick right but not the prediction.

Ben Saunders v. Brandon Wolf: Saunders absolutely blew Wolf out of the water in this fight. He showed superior Muy Thai and dominated in the clinch with knees and landed some damaging kicks before finally pounding Wolf out in the first round. I got the pick right but not the prediction.

Steve Bruno v. Johnny Rees: Bruno looked good in this fight finally winning by rear naked choke in the second round. I got the pick right but not the prediction.

Matt Wiman v. Jim Miller: Miller looked absolutely dominating in this fight both on the feet and on the ground. Miller almost won by guillotine but Wiman escaped somehow. Wiman hung tough but Miller won a very one sided unanimous decision. I got the prediction right but picked the wrong guy.

Tim Credeur v. Nate Loughran: This was a nice fight with both guys swinging hard but Credeur definitely getting the best of it before Loughran couldn't answer the bell in round 3. Credeur wins by TKO in round 2. I got the prediction right but again I picked the wrong fighter.

Steve Cantwell v. Razak Al-Hassan: This was a very impressive debut for Cantwell who dominated on the feet before taking the fight to the mat which I definitely didn't see coming. He finished things off quickly from there securing an arm bar that dislocated Razak's elbow (in the other gruesome injury of the night) as Razak refused to tap. I got the pick right but not the prediction.

Jonathon Goulet v. Mike "Quick" Swick: Swick earns his nickname back in this fight! Swick finally looked ready for a fight at 170 whether it was an injury or the weight cut or both he finally looked good and put his skills on full display dismantling Goulet by KO in about 30 seconds of the first round. I picked this one right on the button!

Josh Koscheck v. Yoshiyuki Yoshida: Man did Koscheck ever bounce back in this one. After a tough loss to Thiago Alves it looked like Koscheck decided to take out all his bad feelings on Yoshida. Koscheck hit Yoshida with two overpowering right hands that KO'd Yoshida for a few minutes. I got the pick right but not the prediction. Koscheck is back on track in a big way but with his contract situation up in the air with the whole UFC v. AKA beef it'll be interesting to see how it will all play out. This situation affects a lot of other prominent fighters including Swick, Velasquez, and Fitch to name a few.

This was a pretty solid night for me. I went 6-3 plus 2 bonus points for getting one prediction right and picking fight of the night. Again, this night was a great surprise and I hope everyone who watched donated (even if you didn't watch go donate now to a good cause that doesn't take a penny for their own costs - fightforthetroops.com). Stay tuned for my TUF 8 review on Sunday. Until then,

Soccer kicks and head stomps...

No comments: